I feel like the hardest part about starting a project is to do just that, START. I’ve had days where I’ve been more motivated than others, then I’ve also had days where I’d rather drink coffee in my pajamas and watch people clean or declutter their own houses on Youtube – it’s called balance people! Anyway, I have found some little tricks to get myself motivated and they actually seem to be working. Here we go!
- Make your bed first… THIS IS CRUCIAL. Whenever I make my bed I feel as if my whole room is at least picked up. Especially if there are clothes all over your floor, the bed now can be used to fold on and start the process of actually cleaning your room.
- Get ready for the day. Okay…this one I find hard, BUT it actually works. When I get dressed and put on a bit of make up (or in many cases just wash my face LOL) I seem to get more done during the day.
- Get the dishes in the dishwasher or washed and clear the counters. Kitchens look 100% better when there is less clutter on the counters and dishes not in the sink. It’s like the bed trick, as long as this one little step gets done your kitchen usually looks clean.
- Do one load of laundry a day. I used to love laundry, but that’s before I had kids and had to do triple the amount. So do one smaller load everyday if you can and fold and put away as soon as its finished. I’ve left laundry for a day in the dryer, trust me it doesn’t fold itself sadly (invention alert).
- Try to clean up after yourself and as you go. When your in the bathroom in the morning getting ready just wipe up the sink after yourself. While you’re cooking have a bowl beside you to collect the garbage or compost as you prepare your meal. This really works and makes the clean up after meals a breeze.
- Get your kids involved. Yes, it may not be perfect, heck it may look a bit worse, but training them that they have to help out to will only help you in the future.
These are only a few things that have made a difference to me and my routine or rituals during the day, but I hope they help you. Remember that this all gets a little easier when you don’t have piles of clutter that you have to tend to everyday, so start getting rid of stuff that just isn’t bringing you the joy feeling anymore!
Happy Tidying xoxo